Sunday, September 11, 2011

Nine Eleven

Today is the ten year anniversary of nine eleven.

On this day, ten years ago, the United States was attacked.

Sometimes in history instances will be so profound, you will remember EXACTLY where you were.

My first instance was the death of Princess Diana.

We were camping. 

Cayce and I were in the bedroom part of the camper at Piney Grove.


 


Many years later another unforgettable instance happened.

Nine Eleven.

Cayce was with me during this time, too.

I remember exactly where I was sitting.

Sitting in Physical Science class during my first year of college.

My teacher, Mrs. Wilda Pounds, told us the news.

Class was dismissed. 

I met Cayce back at the dorm room.

We both watched our 20 inch TV in silence.

I don't really think I even understood the magnitude of what this attack meant.

I thought it was just a bad accident.

A plane had accidentally hit one of the twin towers.

I was always naive when it came to evil.

My heart hurt for the families of the people on the plane.

Hopefully, no one in the building was seriously hurt.

But, I was sure they were, and hurt for their families, too.

Then it seemed moments later the second tower had been hit.


This can't be.

Surely, this isn't coincidence.

Very soon we heard about the Pentagon.

And then their was Flight 93, flown by a plane full of heroes in their own right.

We watched as the towers collapsed.

The news expressing the happenings, as they learned them, floor by floor.

The most prominent image that flashes in my mind is total greyness.

It was if everything was grey.

The ashes covered the streets.

The ashes covered the people.

The ashes fell from the sky like rain.

All color had left my color TV.

Everything was grey.


The dark cloud of ashes and lack of control spread over our country.

People cried.

People fell.

People ran.

People jumped.

People pleaded.

People prayed.

People cried some more.

The devastation of these incidents was nation wide.

My heart hurts to this day for the children who lost parents.

The parents who lost children.

The wives who lost husbands.

Husbands who lost their wives and mothers of their children.

Families who lost their grandparents.

Heroes that lost their lives trying to save the lives of others.

Heroes that went in these buildings hoping to pull people out.


Our country still fights because of these instances.

You should go now and research this moment in history.

The personal stories that you will read will move you.



1 comment: