Sunday, September 25, 2011

Little Lesson Today

Just wanted to share something that hit home with me today.

As we were sitting in church, I heard words to this effect:

"Do you your words have promise?"

Basically, do you DO what you SAY you will DO?

So, I turned to Kent, and in my church-whisper voice I said, "I don't want to be like that."

Pause.

Still church-whisper voice.

"Kent, Do you think I am like that?"

Kent never makes eye contact. 

And in his church whisper voice he said, "Naw".

Long stare from me.

Kent: "Well, a little bit."

Stab in the heart.

You see the truth is.

I guess I knew that deep down.

(Another truth is:  Kent and I have talked about just being honest with each other.  If one or the other ask a point blank question, the deal is, just be honest.  No matter how bad the sting is.  It is just an understanding.  You are not supposed to get defensive.  If you don't WANT to know the answer.  You just shouldn't ask.)

Back to words and actions.

It makes me sad.

I could make excuses like.

"I just don't like to say no."

or

"I really do think that I can do it all.  So, I say everything that I CAN do.  Not necessarily that I will have TIME to do it.  But I CAN do it.  So I say yes."

Therefore, I will work on turning my words into actions.

Or. 

Just not saying the words at all.

Because we all know.

Actions speak louder than words.

Things that I have said I would do, but haven't:

*Make curtains for Granddaddy Brown's room.

*Make a bench for Kim's kitchen table.

*Buy at least two Christmas gifts starting in September to help with the hassle of present buying. (I have bought one...does that count?)

*Finish the painting in the new office area.

*Take Hughes to see the Lion King.

*Make a calander of family and friends birthdays/addresses/special dates
(been in works for two years...at least)

*Print out pictures of the boys that just sit on the camera cards.
(or the computers that die...and are possibly lost forever...can't talk about it...might cry)

*Clean out guest bedroom closets.

*Get my Daddy's email to show up on his phone.

*Organize our pantry. (I think I am waiting on help for this one:)

*Learn how to make picture frames.

*Start a morning areobics class.

*Make Hughes, Wiley, Harlan and Francie some cutie patootie pants for Fall.

Do you see where I am going here?

Guess I will just make this my to do list.

Maybe I can check a few of these off in the next two weeks and some of the guilt will wither away.

Do you have a list like this too?

Or is it just me?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It is not good enough for things to be planned-they still have to be done; for the intention to become a reality, energy has to be launched into operation." --Walt Kelly


No comments: