Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Write it down...


Write it down.

Today,...

May 24th, 2011,...

Hughes threw his Nuk in the outside trash can.

I tried to get him to understand that it would be "Gone Gone Forever."

I pleaded with him NOT to throw the Nuk away.

Don't you understand Hughes?

Don't you understand if you throw your Nuk away, you won't have one ANYMORE?

Hughes? 

Do you REALLY want to throw your Nuk in the "trash."

No, Baby, it's not "drose". (aka. gross)

"Hughes, do you REEEAALLLY want to throw your Nuk in the trash?"

"The Nuk that you have had since the DAY YOU WERE BORN?"

"The Nuk that symbolizes that you are STILL a SWEET BABY BOY?"

"The Nuk that I can pop in your mouth when you need to hush up settle down?"

As I TRIED with every ounce of my Mommy being to talk Hughes out of throwing his Nuk away,

he stared up at me and said,

"Trash.  Drose."

"Are you POSITIVE you want to throw that Nuk away Hughes?"

Let's just throw our snack paper away.

We can keep our Nuk. 

(with my head bobbing yes and hands in pleading position)

"Trash.  Drose."

"Oooooookkkkkaaaaaaaaaaay."

"But if you throw your Nuk away, you WON'T have one ANYMORE."

"Trash.  Drose."

I very slowly opened the disgusting, army green lid to the trash can.

One last plea.

"Hughes,  Are you SUUURE you wanna...

Too Late.

Snack Paper and dearlybelovedlimegreenandturquoisesaviorofmysanityNuk has tumbled, hitting every single garbage bag filled with the nastiest, stinkiest diapers and waste of our life.

Ker plunk.

I heard it.

I heard my nerve endings sever with the thump.

I heard all hopes of sanity fall to the bottom of the dump.

It's over.

My love affair with the Nuk.

.................

Well, maybe we can find a spare....somewhere?

Maybe I was the one so attached to the Nuk afterall?

I will let you know if I fall ...even more so... from the graces of dentist and speech pathologist around the world...and more importantly the ones who care for Hughes, and pop open that spare pack we bought the other day.

(Now where did I put that thing?)

Gotta go.

Wiley is crying.

Now, where is his Nuk?

(wink, wink)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck. Maybe things will go better than you are expecting!Ma'Lyn

Kosek Landing said...

Go with it! It's time, I'm just trying to figure out how to make Jack see the light...

elise said...

Im sooo... proud of you Hughes, your such a BIG boy!!! And if you forget sometimes that you are, I'm sure Mom won't mind if you sneak a Nuk every now and then ;).
OMG Brit the video of them just made my day! They are too precious, I love the way Wiley was just enthralled with Hughes, like he could do no wrong (not the case I'm sure) but It did look that way!
Love and miss yall
Elise

Anonymous said...

Love your blog cousin
See you in a few weeks, Neil