Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A New Frame

Kent found a picture for us to hang in our home. 

The picture has TONS and LOTS and TONS of gold tones in the painting.

The painting was originally in a gold and wood frame.

Which, needless to say, was ENTIRELY too much gold and brown.

Ewww.

So.

I painted the frame.

First, Daddy primed it with Kilz.  Just the kind in the spray can.

The fam wouldn't let me spray the Kilz...being on the brink of baby and all! :)


Then, I used some left over paint from our house and painted the bottom coat a putty color.

We let it dry.  Which took about 10 minutes because it was basking in the sun.


Here is the frame with the complete first layer of paint.

Yes, you do see a linen band within the frame.

I wasn't careful with that layer.  We primed over it also.

 Then I added the top layer of paint.  This layer will end up being the dominate color of the frame.


Next came the time to sand.  I sanded harsher in some areas than others.

All of the paint layers show through.  I even sanded down so that just a touch
of the original frame would peep out!


So, now we have a new piece of art for our living room!

And a great technique to use on any other frames we see the need to spruce up!


2 comments:

Kosek Landing said...

Seems so easy! I want to do this to a mirror that I have.

JBFerguson said...

So cute, I wish I had some sort of talent!