Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Big Day

Kent asked me to marry him today.

Well, not TODAY.

But it was THIS day, February 9th, in 2007.

It was a Friday.

I will ALWAYS remember the special day.

This particular FRIDAY at school we were hosting the Valentine's Party at the school.

AFTER SCHOOL.

The Valentine's Parties were always soooo much fun.

Lots of work.

But, soooo much fun.

The children would go home at 3:00.

Get ALL dolled up.

We're talking.

Sunday Dresses.

Suits and Ties.

Make up.

You heard me...Make Up.

Reminder:  I taught at a K-2 school.

Again, I say.  Make Up.

Faux Fur Coats...and I'm pretty sure it was because they were members of  PETA.

I'm guessing the Faux was because they were ages 5-8.

ANYWAY...the party was from around 5:30-7:30.

They included pizza, cookies, chips, juice, a store filled with glow necklaces, heart tattoos, and much more.

We always had a DJ.

DJ E...aka DJ Elizabeth.  Elizabeth is the young fun teacher that ALL the children knew.  

And more importantly...LOVED.

Elizabeth is a kid at heart.  Which makes her PERFECT with children.  

Literally.  PERFECT with children...and being in tune with what the children like in music.

So, DJ E was born!

After a day of teaching and a NIGHT of extra "fun"....

needless to say...

I

WAS

POOPED.

Felt Pooped.

Looked Pooped.

WAS Pooped.

I called Kent on my way home.

Kent: "Hey, why don't you go home and take a bath.  Get ready and we will go have a nice dinner."

Me:  "Ain't happening buddy. I am WORN out.  All I want is a BED!"

Kent:  "Come on.  It will be fun.  We have had long weeks...let's go to dinner"

Me:  "NO."

Kent:  "Well you have to eat SOMETHING."

Me:  "If you want to have dinner with me, meet me at Jason's Deli and we will have a quick bite."

Kent:  "Okay!"

Me:  Thoughts:  Is he crazy? Does he NOT know that I have been at work since 6:30 this morning teaching all day.  Then, after school decorating for a Valentine Party.  Then, being a photographer/chaperone/ball of energy to ensure the children have a safe and fun time until RIGHT NOW?  It's 8:00.  That's a 13 1/2 hour day!!!!  GET READY?  I'd rather....not!  Can't we go to a NICE dinner TOMORROW NIGHT? 

So, Kent meets me at Jason's Deli. 

I don't know what I ate.

I'm sure it was the French Onion Soup with a grilled cheese.

Because, I tend to be a creature of habit.

I'm SURE we enjoyed the free ice cream.

Because, we are creatures of habit.

...more importantly, we have a sweet tooth...or two.

Then, he said we should go to his house.

Fine.  It's close.

I walk into the living room and the little stinker has happies for me on his sofa.

Two or three Vera Bradley Bags.

Two stuffed animals.

Me:  "Kent, I thought we weren't getting each other ANYTHING for Valentine's Day?"

Kent:  "It's not Valentine's Day.  And besides it's not that much."

I open up one of the bags.  Which has candy in it.  The big bag also had a smaller bag.

The candy was where I stopped.

An assortment of candy.

Me:  "Oh.  Thanks Kent.  I LOVE a Crunch bar.  But I don't like these Mr. Goodbars.  You know I don't like nuts.  Let me just get the Mr. Goodbars out for you.  You should take them to work.  OH, I LOVE the plain milk chocolate hersheys.  I'm gonna keep those.  I guess I will keep the dark chocolate, too!  They are good if you put them in the refridgerator. 

Me:  Thought:  Kent sure does look tense.  It's just candy.  I mean this gift is nice, but nothing OVER THE TOP.  I don't feel TOO guilty for not getting him something.  Maybe I will run to target tomorrow and get him a card.  I might throw in an i tunes card!  Why does he look so concerned about this candy?

Kent:  "Well, are you going to look in the smaller bag?"

Me:  "Yeah."

Me:  Thought:  I mean if it's just more candy, what's the rush?  What is it? Jolly Ranchers?  OH!  I know.  Mini M&M's.  He knows how much I like to pour those over my popcorn!  Calm down Kent.  Surely, the candy can wait!  Right?


WRONG!

NO M&M's to be found.

BUT, there was a little black velvet box.

I just stared at it. 

Scene:  I am sitting on the sofa.  Surrounded by Vera Bradley make up bags. Two white stuffed teddy bears and candy.  Kent is sitting across from me in an oversized chair.  ON the edge of the over sized chair.

I continue to stare at it.

I did not open it.

I stared at the box.

I stared at Kent.

Back at the box.

Kent:  "You not going to open it?"

Me:  "Yeah."

I opened the box.

There it was.

The ring that would be on my left hand for the rest of my life.

Sitting in the box.

Waiting for my finger.

Waiting for years of dishwater, dings, showers, cleanings every now and then with a toothbrush and toothpaste, tugs from Hughes, twists around and around my finger from me, waiting 9 months for the wedding band to come and join the party. 

I knew immediately that this ring symbalized a new and forever change in my life.

Side Note:  Poor Kent.  He is still sitting on the edge of his chair, as I am having all of these realizations.  Who knows?  He probably thought I wasn't sure about all of this.  But I knew.  I knew Kent was the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with VERY EARLY on.  Actually, was HOPING in the very back of my head that he would have already asked me! ... A few months ago! :)

Kent came over to the sofa.

Got on one knee.

And asked me to marry him.

Of course, I said, YES!

He put the ring on. 

Or did I put it on?

I don't remember.

We hugged.

As we were hugging, I was thinking:

Lovely thoughts.   Probably.

Happy Thoughts.  Probably.

What will my wedding dress look like?

What will be the date of our wedding?

Actually.  None of the above.

It was actually something like this...

"OH!  I am so tired and we are about to be on the phone for a LONG time!"

We were.  And it was wonderful.

I first cried when we called Mama Jean.  She told me all her hopes, wishes and dreams were coming true.
Her grandgirls were getting married. 
The flood gates were then opened!

(Carmen, Brandice, Bronwyn and I were all engaged to be married.  The same year.  The McCreary family had so much to look forward to!)

The night was perfect.

A nice dinner wouldn't have made it any more special.

We did go enjoy a nice dinner the following night to celebrate.

Paige, Me and Leslie!
This is the only picture that I have from that day.

Love you Kent!

4 comments:

Kent said...

Love you too babe!

JBFerguson said...

Loved the story, very you guys! Hey nothing says romance like Jason Deli ice cream.

Leslie said...

Sweet story!! I remember you coming to work that Monday with your ring to show! Friday night is our little Valentine's dance at school....5 years and still can't wait to see the guys and gals in their Sunday's best:) Won't be the same without you OR Paige!
BTW that is a TERRIBLE picture of me! It is so obvious that I had been at work all day:/

Amanda Jones said...

I love a love story...thanks for sharing!