Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Fear of Water

So, I have a HUGE HUGE HUGE fear of water.  And now that I'm a Mom, that fear has grown into hydrophobia (aka:  phobia of water).

Let me clarify MY life with water.

*I like to be able to see my feet under the water.

*It's not SO bad that I won't take a bath.  I mean the bath is def a guilty pleasure for me.

*I DO love to go to the swimming pool.

*Especially, the ones with a beach entrance.  I would pay more for a hotel/condo that had a swimming pool with a beach entrance!


*The swimming pool and children scare me...Really, the children's safety is ALL I can think about when in a swimming pool.  My child.  Your child.  Any child.  Clearly, RELAXING at the pool ... with children... is not in the cards for me.  When Hughes is not with me at the pool, you will probably find me laying in a lounger with a book/magazine/eyes closed/some object that keeps my attention AWAY from the pool....or else I begin to worry about the safety of your children....THAT ARE NOT EVEN MY OWN!

*Can you see the small dilemma this causes?

-----------------------------------------

What brings this post to life?

The same thing that woke me up this morning.

This morning I woke myself up...screaming.

Screaming?  Really?  Britanny, isn't that a little dramatic?

Well, maybe. 

In the dream, I WAS screaming.  Probably just came out as a normal tone in real life though.

--------------------------------------

P.S. I talk in my sleep.

I am not ashamed.

I talk in my sleep. 

Poor Kent.

-------------------------------------

What were you screaming you ask?

These exact words:  "They are pushing him in the water."

What makes it worse is that I was pointing...along with the dialog.

Yes, pointing in the dream AND in real life. 

My dreams have ALWAYS been VERY vivid and realistic. 

Kent says I should NEVER repeat them because people might think I'm crazy :)...which is entirely possible ;)

So, in the dream there were about 10 toddlers ranging from 1-3 RUNNING around a swimming pool.

I couldn't get to them.

Helpless.

Hopeless.

With the summer months coming up, I can feel my anxiety level rising.  Even as I write this post. 

I have a GREAT respect for the water.

Never have had a traumatic experience....thank goodness...hello counseling here I come, if that were to EVER happen.

The reason for this post: 

Do you have the same phobia? 

Or do you have a phobia that is JUST as horrifying to you?  SO horrifying that it haunts your dreams? 

I hope not. 

But, then again I do hope SOMEONE does.

Because I don't want to be the ONLY person out there with a FEAR so REAL.

------------------------

Okay...going to sign Hughes up for Maley's Swim School after baby comes!!!

I figure the education will help with my anxiety.

I'm one of those people. 

Education helps to ease me. 

The more prepared I am. 

**The better.

**Except when it came to birthing my babies.  In that case, ignorance is bliss.

Happy Tuesday!

1 comment:

cathy said...

No surprise to you probably; but my FEAR is spiders!!! Big, medium, little or tiny----I don't care--if they are crawling they are NOT good spiders! The ONLY good ones are the ones I have chased with my Raid until they turn belly up!!!