Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Happy October

Kent, Hughes and I have lots of news to share since our last post! These posts that are waaaay overdue overwhelm me, therefore I will just make a list of everything to catch you up!

1. The most exciting news……..Hughes is going to be a big brother in March! We find out if it is a boy or a girl on October 28!!! While I was pregnant with Hughes, I just knew it was a boy. However, with this little bambino, I haven’t a clue. Guess we will all be surprised! This pregnancy has been filled with lots of sickness, yet it has gotten much much better over the past two weeks. Every night, this thief comes in the night with a 4 gauge needle (which is the largest), jabs it into an exposed area of skin peeking out from under the covers, and sucks out all of my energy and life. Then the thief distributes my energy to Hughes, Kent and any one else in my environment. This ensures to make me feel even more lifeless because life around me is bouncing and jumping and sitting down without their eyes closed. I’m hoping one day the thief will accidentally, one day, give me a bit of energy back!
2. Our camera has been broken. Because I dropped it out of my beach bag, as I was bending over to pick a toy up. Sad. But it is back from the doctor…still broken…because they were going to charge us an arm and a leg to fix it…and not even all of it. I say all of this so that you will know that the pictures are few and far between. Gonna try to round some up!
3. Back to the topic of energy, I need it! Because we just moved. And boxes are hiding in every, and I mean every, nook and cranny in our house. Some of the boxes just can’t be unpacked yet since we are waiting on an addition and built in bookshelves for our den. Kent’s uncle, Charles, sent us a picture of his progress yesterday and we are thrilled! The built in is coming along beautifully and we can’t wait to see the finished product! Charles is super talented in many areas and we are so thankful for his time and efforts to help make our new house a home! We are also adding on to our master bathroom. At first, we were not going to do this addition until later. However, about a week before we signed on the house, we found out that the master shower didn’t work properly. We felt that two bathrooms were imperative, especially since we have bambino on the way and hopefully help that will be coming to make the transition flow beautifully…hint hint Gran and Ma’Lyn. And, well, we just need two bathrooms. One for guest to use without tripping over foam bath letters, rubber duck water spout covers, the growing layer of baby powder that is used daily…anyway, you get the point.
4. I am now a Working Mom at Home. Working on the Home. (For some reason, I feel odd saying SAHM...is that wierd? I think it should be SAHWM Stay At Home Working Mom...SAHM gives the impression that just because you "Stay At Home" that nothing productive gets accomplished. I beg to differ.) This transition has been somewhat VERY different for me. And to be honest, I am not sure how great I am at this new job endeavor. Expectations are high, set by no one but me and society, but I feel as if the following tasks should be done daily. (Disclaimer: I do not do all of these things, but hope to one day get all worked into the schedule. The main task everyday is to enjoy being home with Hughes and watching him grow and develop...and boy is he growing fast!) a. Get dressed before Hughes wakes up or else I will be in sweatpants until his afternoon nap (which is exactly how our mornings roll now) b. Wash all dirty clothes and put them away before 4:00. c. Cook dinner, of some sort. (Now this one I don’t rebel against. Fast food is about the only option around here and we did eat fast food for about a week, while the kitchen was getting painted. Our arteries will NEVER be the same and our intestines are still making the switch to fresh food. d. House, at least, picked up before Hughes goes to bed. e. Having some sort of activity for us to do to get out of the house at least once a day. It could be the grocery store, a trip to Jackson, a trip to Starkville to have lunch with Ben, the grocery store, the grocery store, Lowe’s (which I could care less if I NEVER go back to another Lowe’s again. I mean that from the depths of my heart!)
5. I am reading a book that Pamela and Nick sent us. Wild Things: the art of nurturing boys by Stephen James and David Thomas. The front of the book reads, “a practical guide to understanding the way, the mind, and the heart of a boy”. I am finding the read to be very insightful and easy to read. I recommend the read to any parent, teacher, counselor and really anyone that is involved in raising boys.

4 comments:

Amanda Jones said...

Hello!! Welcome back Mrs. Thing!! Congrats on baby #2....how exciting!! I'm reading Wild Things right now too.....Good stuff!!

Kosek Landing said...

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that you commented on my blog, then I DID fall out of my chair when I saw that you updated your blog. Then I fell out of it again, laughing, about the energy thief that give Hughes and Kent your energy...too funny!

Leslie said...

I have that same book!! It is proving to be very enlightening....can't wait to see some pics of Hughes and so ready to find out what you are having!!!! Miss you lots!!

Kelly Aldridge said...

Congratulations Mortimer's!!! I have been waiting for an update forever on your sweet family and this one sure enough didn't disappoint! So happy for you guys! God Bless your family and your sweet baby on the way! Can't wait to hear more!