Wednesday, November 3, 2010

You are my sunshine...

 About an hour ago, Hughes started getting a bit fussy. 
Around this time of day, he is ready for his afternoon nap.
 All of these pictures were taken right before he crawled up in my lap on the sofa.  Just twisting his blanket around his chubby dimpled fingers.  This was a sweet moment for me.  Hughes isn't really into cuddling with Mommy these days.  Therefore, I take in EVERY chance I get to snuggle with him.  Sitting in silence.  Counting the many ways that he has blessed our life. 
 Then, an even sweeter moment happened.  I said, "Hughes, you ready to go nite nite?"  He jumped down out of my arms, boots and all, grabbed his binkie with nuk tucked tight lipped and started running.  I knew where he was going...to his room.  This part is normal.  When he gets tired he will just run back there and stand in the middle of the room waiting on me.  However, today was different.  I went to his room to put him in his bed and he was sitting in the rocker.  "You want me to rock?" He shook his head with determination, like......uh...yeah....what do you think?   So we crawled in the chair.  Hughes lay/laid/lain ??? (I never know which to use ? this I will learn...promise)  his head down on my chest.  Then, he popped his head up and started snapping his fingers.  Hughes has baby rhythm and whenever he hears music he tries to dance.  Now, when I say "snapping" his fingers, it is more like a twist of the wrist over and over...but hey, he tries.  So, I started to sing.  I sang You Are My Sunshine.  EVERY time...I kid you not....EVERY time that I have sang this song to Hughes since he has been born I cry...normally finishing the song with frogs in my throat and my heart on fire. 

You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are grey
You'll never know dear
How much I love you
Please don't take
My sunshine away!

The tears start to surface around "You'll never know dear"...because isn't it true.  We don't understand how much our parents love us until WAY too late in life.

I think the next canvas I paint will be the text to this song for Hughes room!
P.S.  I think it is safe to say that the pregnancy hormones are back..
and better than ever.
I still have a frog in my throat now...

which isn't helping my sore throat, ears that feel like little plastic bathtub boats could float on the fluid waves and a cough that surfaces when I lay/lie down! 

But, the joys that happen throughout the day with Hughes make all those aches go away...
for the moment anyway.

Love to all,
B

6 comments:

Kelly Aldridge said...

Now I have a frog in my throat!

Mom said...

Your blog always makes me chuckle or tear. Today it was the latter. I take it the camera is charged??
Mom

JBFerguson said...

You definitely just made me tear up. You never stop and think about the simple lyrics, but how perfect are those! Thanks for sharing!

Amanda Jones said...

Soooo sweet! I tear up too....so nice to know I'm not the only emotional whimp!
I put a video on my blog when Colby was about Hughes age.....I was singing that song and he would fill in certain words....happy, gray, away!! I tried to find it to send you the link but I got tired of looking.

Great post!!

Charlie and Mandy Lynskey said...

That sweet baby loves his momma! Such a sweet story thanks for sharing!

JBFerguson said...

Per your blog, I sang this song over and over to Ryan last night when I was putting her down. I was in heaven. Thanks again for reminding me about this classic. It was a nice break from Amazing Grace!