Friday, June 4, 2010

First "Credit Card"









Mrs. Cathy, my babysitter/family/friend, kept Brad, Ben and I when we were small. We always did fun things with her and the other children at her house. She was my form of daycare. However, she offered me or my mom for that matter, waaaaaaaayyy more than any daycare could have offered. I was just reading on Pioneer Woman’s blog: 20 interesting facts about the Titanic. And it brought thoughts of childhood swirling around me. Especially the times Cathy would take us to our monthly outings at the library.

I know now that the idea of the LIBRARY may seem old school or foreign, but I really think we should bring back the importance and fun of a library to our children.

Anyway, when I got to go to the Ann Smith Library in my hometown, I skipped right past the children’s books and headed toward the back wall in the “big people” books and headed for my favorite book.

I remember it weighing about 20 pounds and most importantly, the pictures were HUGE! (I am a visual learner…what can I say?) The book was all about the Titanic. The date it sank was one day after my birthday, April 14th. And being as bad with remembering dates then as I am now, that was a date I could certainly remember.

Something else that brought interest to the Titanic was the beautiful atmosphere on the ship. Have you ever really looked at photographs of the interior of the Titanic? Well, if not, you should. The details and intricacies are absolutely amazing. And if you know me at all, you know that I LOVE over the top things. Now, I am not saying that I necessarily want our home adorned with gold plated mirrors, the finest china, marble swirling staircases that seem that if you made it to the top you would be knocking on the pearly gates, BUT I do love admiring beautiful things.

The gold plated mirrors sparked a thought…about the Palace of Versaille… when I stood outside the doors and DIDN’T go inside. A crime. I know. A story for later. More importantly a trip to be planned for later. Okay, I digress, back to the library story.

Cathy would let us all check out one book. One book only. This happened only after the very important ordeal of me getting my FIRST credit card. (Or that is how I perceived it…fanciful mind…what can I say?) I would get to hand over my Ann E. Smith “Credit Card” and check out ANYTHING I want.
(This transaction was the first of many…and probably the only SAFE transaction I will ever make with a “credit card”.)

I chose to check out the Titanic book. I remember getting home to Cathy’s house sitting on her navy and white floral sofa in front of the wall of bookshelves (that housed the best movies…and when I say movies I mean musicals…and cross stitching materials) and turned the pages ever so slowly looking filling my mind with every detail of the Titanic. I truly believed in my mind that one day I would design/live in something so beautiful. Isn’t that the beauty of a child’s mind? Anything is possible.

Many families and people were affected by this tragic event and their story will be told for many years to come.



After Cathy saw my little spark of passion for the Titanic, she brought out the big guns. The Unsinkable Molly Brown. I know many, okay let’s be honest, NONE of you have probably ever seen this movie. But, you should. And that is all I have to say about the matter. I have it at home, if you would like to check it out of my library.
Warning: If you have no flare for music, glitz, story of rags to riches, and old production, this movie will not have a place in your heart.

Needless to say, the Titanic and all of the doom and glory along with the amazing ship, hold a special place in my heart.

Is there a book you checked out of the library that sparked a special passion for you?
Or am I the only goof ball on the planet…
surely not…
but, probably so.
Until next time.
B

1 comment:

Cole said...

Debbie Reynolds! Heck yes! I saw that movie for the first time last year. It's just precious. I miss library trips, too. Now a trip to the library means research and paper writing... I haven't been to the library just for fun in FAR too long. You've inspired me. I'm going next week. Fort Worth Public Library--look out. Cole's got a library card and she's not afraid to use it.